Wednesday, September 26, 2012

From the Library

Before delving into today's topic, I'd like to issue an internet acknowledgement and thanks to little H for helping with yesterday's pictures (I usually give her a credit shot at the end but I was short on time). She  has come a long way in her three weeks of picture taking. I'm glad because I really want to keep her on staff. There are certain benefits to having a three foot tall three year old taking your photo, not the least of which is a great angle that makes one look super tall and the fact that she works for marshmallows.

On to more relevant things... In keeping with the idea that I am sharing things with you good readers that I enjoyed and think my sisters would enjoy, I have a couple casual reads to throw out there. I'm not saying that you should hop over to Amazon at once and purchase these, just check them out (pun) at your local library. In preface I say that these aren't among the great literary works of all time; they are, however, fun, a bit practical, and a good way to spend a lazy afternoon or evening. So, if you are all caught up on the latest First Things, check these out!


Parisian Chic: A Style Guide by Ines de la Fressange (2011). Ines, the face of Chanel in the 80's, is now a business woman, designer, and still occasional haute couture model (yes, you did your math correctly, she is in her fifties). This fun little read is peppered with Ines' own illustrations and fashion, beauty, and lifestyle tips on how French women achieve that je ne sais que.  There is also a section on where to go in Paris (a girl can dream, right?). 

Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour (2007), by Rachel Zoe. Rachel Zoe is an American stylist to the stars and consultant for Piperlime and Gap, Inc. In her book, Rachel conveys her personal philosophy on how to live glamorously via biographical stories, contributing experts and her own [for the most part] practical advice on everything from how to pose for flattering pics to how to pack a suitcase.

Ines and Rachel couldn't differ more in their backgrounds or appearance, but they both put forth a philosophy that any woman can be glamorous and chic, and that it doesn't have to cost tons of money. With a little ingenuity, attention to detail, and confidence, any woman can bring more beauty and joy into the everyday.

All this talk of a Frenchwoman and a Californian reminds me, don't forget to enter the Frenchy of California Giveaway. Six days left!

1 comment:

  1. I've been dying to start a collection of coffee table books--I really want to check out the Rachel Zoe one now! Happy Thanksgiving, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.