Friday, September 14, 2012

Let's Talk About Love: La Tigre e La Neve


Fuad: He was a real poet. He was young, fell in love with a woman and married her. A few years later, while he was fighting in some war, he heard his wife had contracted smallpox and had been disfigured. So Al-Giumeili said, "My eyes hurt." And then: "I've gone blind." When his wife died, 12 years later, he opened his eyes again. 
Attilio de Giovanni: So as not to upset his wife, he pretended to be blind for 12 years? 
Fuad: Every person is a chasm. It makes you dizzy to look down. (La Tigre e La NeveThe Tiger and the Snow)


My intention for this blog is to curate topics, inspiration, and ideas that I am interested in personally, and that I think my sisters would find both fun and practical. I also want to share what moves me, what causes me to pause, to transcend the daily grind and think of things deeper and higher.  You know that sweet ache in the deep recesses of the soul that awakes unexpectedly in the face of some truth, of some goodness, of some beauty? The ache that reminds you that you (and every other person) want more, need more, than daily bread or that new pair of shoes.  The catalysts for such moments make life beautiful and should be shared. Without further ado (and narrowly avoiding a maudlin spectacle), I would like to introduce you to one of my favorite movies of all time, Roberto Benigni's The Tiger and the Snow. To avoid spoiling the plot, I will just say that it is a love story in the truest sense of the word and should not be missed. Okay, maybe I will also say that it takes place in Rome and Baghdad, circa 2003, and involves a passionate poet, unrequited love, and second chances. It is currently available on Netflix instant view (if you are a subscriber), Blockbuster On Demand rental, and I originally viewed it from the public library, so get out there and find this flick!


2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU. Such a simple, yet complex and utterly lovely love! So needed to hear something like that today.....thank you for posting!

    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mona! You will have to let me know what you think of the movie!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.