Monday, January 28, 2013

Beauty Under a Buck

Cosmetics can be so expensive, and if your makeup budget isn't big, finding new products can be daunting. Recently, my sister-in-law told me about the e.l.f. Eyeshadow Primer, and I had just seen it here, so during a visit to Target I made my way to the cosmetics aisle. Alas, the primer was out of stock, but I did come away with two other very inexpensive items that I would recommend.

The first is the e.l.f. Shimmering Facial Whip ($1), which comes in six shades. It is described on the e.l.f. website as:
a multipurpose, on-the-go whipped highlighter packed with Vitamin E to instantly brighten and soothe skin with no greasy after-feel. Ideal for using on your cheeks, lips, eyelids or anywhere you would like a radiant pop of shimmering color. 
Maybe you are like me, a minimalist when it comes to makeup, and have never used highlighter before. If so, this might be a good intro product. The purpose of highlighter is to highlight the areas that the sun would kiss first, literally the higher points of the face. I applied it just below my eyes / just above my cheekbones and down the bridge of my nose. It was subtle and not too "shimmery." [A little bit intimidated by blush and highlighter? Check out this great video tutorial for a natural look] I also applied it on my eyelids while I was already wearing black eyeliner and mascara. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it looked really nice, more pearly than pink on my lids, and was subtle enough to be an appropriate day look. I would caution against wearing  it on the lips; it was much too light, or atleast the shade I tried (Lilac Petal). I was initially skeptical about a product that claimed it could go "anywhere" (and it shouldn't), and I  wouldn't say it really "pops," but I think it's actually better that way. Two thumbs up.

{source}


The second product is the e.l.f. Essential Shimmer Eyeliner Pencil in Black Bandit, also $1. In the words of e.l.f.:
Instantly brighten eyes with e.l.f. Cosmetics shimmering metallic liners that put the spotlight on eyes. The smooth formulation glides on effortlessly without tugging at the delicate eye area. Choose from an assortment of 9 vibrant shades designed to add depth, definition and a special sparkle to create a very glamorous look! Pencil includes a convenient sharpener cap for easy use!
I am not a sparkle and shine kind of girl when it comes to makeup, so I was pleasantly surprised with this product as well. The color glides on easily, doesn't run or smudge unless you want it to (important for ladies like me who have naturally dark under eye circles), and is subdued enough for day wear (at least in the shade I purchased). I haven't tried the sharpener cap yet, but I will keep you posted on how that works out. This is a reliable and inexpensive product to have in the makeup bag. Again, two thumbs up!

{source}





6 comments:

  1. (Their eye shadows and nail polishes are also really good!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to try out some new eyeshadow shades, maybe I'll get some of those. With a price that low they are perfect for experimenting. Thanks, Allison!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review! I'll def'ly try their facial whip, as my highlighter is almost out. I have their bronzer (single color round compact), and I do _not_ recommend it. Their bronzer/blush duo (rectangular compact) is alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for the warning on the bronzer. Laura. It was only a matter of time before I went there...

      Delete
  3. I'll have to try the facial whip...with a newborn arriving in less than three months, I'll need all the brightening I can get ;).
    BTW, have you seen Casey Wiegand's (and others) Mama Style linkup? You should check it out :) http://www.thewiegands.com/2013/01/mama-style_27.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think! I've actually been thinking about doing the link up, thank your for reminding me! When are you due, Sarah?

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.