Monday, March 11, 2013

Thrifting Tip and Link Up

For those of you who saw Friday's Quick Takes, this link up comes as no surprise.  To take part, all you have to do is write a post with your best thrifting tip or trick. Include or don't include an outfit photo; it is completely up to you. Then, link up below to join the fun!

I'll go first... I had a difficult time choosing a tip to share with you, but I finally settled on one that I think is the foundation for all the rest. Are you read for this jewel of wisdom?  Do not purchase an item from the thrift store if it does not please you 100%. 

And there you have it. But I will elaborate. Because I always do. If an item is worn out and cannot be fixed do not buy it. Check pant hems and cuffs for fraying. Look for spots, pilling, fading, and stains, especially inside the collar, down the front, and in the armpit areas. If an item almost fits, do not buy it (unless you can and will make whatever adjustments it needs). If an item leaves you with a "blah, it's okay," kind of feeling, do not buy it. If an item is about to go home with you only because  you feel like you can't leave empty handed because then your shopping trip was pointless and because then you have proof (in a negative sense) that your afternoon was wasted..... Don't buy it! And one more clarification about the above statement. If you are 100% pleased with something, but it scares you just a little bit because it is outside your comfort zone, buy it!





And for the outfit details. If you read the aforementioned Quick Takes you will already know that I have been contemplating whether or not to include more details about each outfit. Since readers either said that they preferred more info or were neutral, I will oblige. Jeans: Old Navy // Merino black cowl: Banana Republic thrifted // Navy long cardigan: Eddie Bauer "thrifted" from a friend's "about to go to Goodwill" bag // Belt: 7 Hills from Piperlime // Boots: Fugu Malibu from Piperlime // Watch: Citizen Eco Drive  (gift) // Pearl stud earrings (gift).


  

11 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I think I might need to combine cleaning out my closet with putting together another thrifted outfit. Will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have all the clothes out anyways...

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary,
    Thank you for inviting me to participate! I hope you don't mind that I posted two links. One link is to one of my favorite thrifted finds and the other is to a guest blogger post I penned for My Garments of Praise and it describes 6 tips for thrifting success.

    Chandra
    More Modern Modesty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all, Chandra! Thank you for participating!

      Delete
  3. Great tip about only buying if you are 100%! I am not a thrift store shopper by nature :), so I have fallen prey to getting something just because it almost fit or I didn't want to leave empty-handed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad, Diana, it happens to. The best of us! I have to constantly remind myself if this!

      Delete
    2. So many typos, I'm on my phone!

      Delete
  4. Going thrifting tomorrow and hope to link up soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this counts as a post, sorry it's kind of lazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Εvеry ѕtate or even the sоftware interfаce.
    ӏt's up to you and could possibly be so important that they have found yet another unethical practice that ramps up their revenues. It will be a one time event or a short review could make or break the takeover and merger deals that Goldman's bаnκers
    were ωоrking on or providing thе funding for.


    my wеb рage - kr.nus.edu.sg

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.