Monday, December 23, 2013

Wrappings on the Cheap

In the spirit of simplicity, and sticking to the budget, every year I find myself looking for new ways to wrap presents without spending much. In the past, I've been really disappointed with the cheap wrapping papers that are out there, because they look just what they are. If I was really on the ball, I would snag some great paper on clearance post Christmas for the next year. My mom always does this, and hope springs eternal for myself, but it usually just doesn't happen for one reason or another. 

So that's how I find myself, every year, days before Christmas, with lots of things to be wrapped and little time or inclination to go running around to find that perfect wrapping paper. And if this was true before, now that I have little kids... the thought of venturing to the busy mall (with them) makes me quake in my boots!

Well, I had my first wrapping session the other night, and I thought I would share what I came up with in case you, too, have some naked gifts. 

First, save those cuttings from the Christmas tree. You know the ones, those random branches that need to come off the bottom for it to fit into the tree stand. They make a beautiful center piece en masse, or a festive touch when spread around hither and yon. Bonus? You can snip a bit at a time to dress up a simply wrapped gift.

Buy a roll of Kraft paper at the dollar store. It's inexpensive, durable, and classic. Sometimes you can find printed Kraft paper, which is printed on one side and brown on the other. This is a great product, because it's really a two for one. You can wrap gifts in brown, the print, or use strips of the printed side to embellish the plain packages (see below).

Choose inexpensive ribbon that curls, twine, or even yard. Get creative in how you wrap it around packages. Tie it in bows, circle it around the package multiple times, or alternate it with the printed paper. 

Tuck something into that ribbon. Use whatever you have around: candy canes, pinecones, a bit of evergreen.

Have an irregularly shaped object? "Wrap" it in a brown paper bag of whatever size.


You probably won't be hearing from me anymore this week, so have a Merry Christmas!





5 comments:

  1. Great ideas, Mary! I esp. love the multiple strands of ribbon and the candy cane addition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine said she just bought a 180 sq ft roll of brown paper from Home Depot for under $5!! It's along the lines of what you were saying about the craft paper. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's awesome, Martha! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.