Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Timely Tipple

There is something about All Hallow's Eve that just begs for a hot beverage that both warms and cheers. Every year on this day we have a tradition of brewing up a batch of hot buttered rum. It is the perfect potation to fortify one for the rigors of going door to door in unpleasant weather. Now, if you are anything like me, the idea of drinking something that contains straight butter may be off putting at first. My husband definitely led the charge on this one, but now I am a believer. I especially enjoy this drink if I am the one sitting on the porch dispensing the candy; its great to nurse on a cold night, as the heat gently transfers to hands and belly. Most of the hot buttered rum recipes out there in internet land are fairly similar; I like this site because it includes a single serving recipe and proportions for a crowd.

Let budget, taste, and tolerance be your guide.

Another good option, especially if you need a bit more energy, is a good ol' Irish coffee. In case you don't know how this works, it's very simple. Just brew some strong coffee, pour into a small glass (5-6 oz), add some Irish whiskey, a teaspoon of sugar, and a layer of fresh cream on the top. Don't stir it; just drink through the layer of cream for the best experience. If you want more visuals and detailed explanation, look here.


An Irish coffee is usually served in a mug like this, but feel free to improvise...


like this, for example. 

And one final option, caffe or espresso corretto, which literally means "correct" (as in "proper", though some say it means "corrected", how audacious. Let me know if you really know). This last one is super easy: one or two shots espresso with one shot of alcohol. The most commonly used liquor in Italy is grappa (an Italian grape based brandy), but you can also use sambuca (anise flavored), cognac, or any other type of brandy. Serve the espresso in a small cup, accompanied by a shot glass with the liquor of your choice. Tip the liquor into the espresso, and salute!


soon to be espresso corretto alla cognac

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Clara! And, I want you to know that your previous comment was my inspiration for "House Guest Hospitality 101. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.