Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Thrifting Challenge

This morning I had two realizations as I was rushing out the door to vote (if you haven't done so, git 'er done): One, I really like this outfit, and two, this outfit is head to toe thrifted (except for the watch). If you have read my Thrifter's Apologia, you already know how I feel about thrifting. Now, the lady in me doesn't like to talk numbers and brands, because it's my personal philosophy that the correlation between those things and style is not a direct one, and the images I post are meant to express my personal style and/or illustrate some fashion point I am making.  I will break my code though, this once, and give you the fiscal facts (still no brands, désolé), in hopes that it will impel you to give thrifting a go. 














THE BREAKDOWN
Black wool coat - $15
Electric blue button down - $1.50
Black skinnies - $4
Black leather belt - $1.50
Black leather shoes - $5
Total - $27


And now, I have a challenge for you, my friends. Here it is: 

Go thrifting. 
Make an outfit. 
Take pictures.  
Record the fiscal facts. 
Send them to me (marytboctor@gmail.com or to Mary Boctor on Facebook). 

And I will post them. 

OR 

If you are a blogger, you can participate link up style.







15 comments:

  1. I love this! I really hope I can make it out this week and send you a pic, I have always wanted someone to do something like this/do it myself. I am very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do, Ana!!! And thanks for sharing on FB, just saw that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES, link-up! ;)

    Great outfit. Love that it's thrifted toooooo.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Camille! I just might do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to do this! A lot of my best thrift store finds are summer clothes, somehow (I've found three Lilly Pulitzer dresses, in three different cities, that I adore), so I guess I'll have to get creative with the cooler weather stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sounds like some GREAT finds with the dresses! I didn't say it has to be winter wear... Go where the spirit moves you!

      Delete
    2. Oh, Stephanie, if you could also share it that would be amazing. I would love to get a really big turnout - the more, the merrier!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow ... I only got to this today ... I will have to hurry, is there a dead-line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Clara! You have until next Tuesday.

      Delete
  7. First time commenting here (I think). Just linked up. This was fun! Thanks Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you did! I meant to reply to your comment earlier, but I went over to your site and started reading every post.... ah, where did the day go?! Glad to "make your acquaintance"!

      Delete
    2. Glad to make your acquaintance, too! I just checked my feed reader and saw you on Ain't No Mom Jeans. I feel like I just saw a close friend on American Idol or something. ;-) I love ANMJ. I found them maybe . . . six months ago. You look great! Congrats!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Laura, that's too funny! I submitted those photos in September and kind of forgot about it, big surprise last night! What is your email? I was going to send you a msg that way but couldn't find it... I became acqauinted with Rachel Cusk through one of your posts, I read the linked article about her marriage falling apart and the masc/fem roles. very interesting stuff!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.