Monday, May 6, 2013

The Weekend


WEEKEND DIARIES
4-5 May




Continuing what we started last week...


I started reading A House In Italy. It is the memoir of the British Daphne Phelps, who inherited a home in Sicily and ended up living there for the rest of her life. It's a nice light read; perfect for the pool or the airport. Since I had neither, I paired it with both coffee, beer, and two sunny, 70 degree days.

We spent Saturday in the great outdoors, for the most part. We prepared the ground for this year's garden, using the "lasagna" technique. Every year we get going too late to have optimal production; this year will be different, by golly!  We also got our seeds ready to go. We're starting the plants in cups inside instead of buying seedlings like we usually do.  Too ambitious? Maybe.

I've been getting a little burned out lately with mommying. Toddler stage is difficult. I'm not telling anybody anything new. On Saturday night, after finally getting the kids to sleep (you know those nights where bedtime morphs from a 30 minute routine capped with sweet childish kisses and peaceful slumber into an excruciating two hour long voyage into the heart of darkness, your heart of darkness, as you seethe interiorly over the millionth call of "Mom, I need you!" only to find that your child wants you to add one more toy to the forty already choking his bed...) my husband told me he was taking me out for a drink! I was caught off guard, so there were no smoky eyes or heels, but nothing's prettier than a happy face, right? That's me up there, and that's what I wore (smile included), when at 10 p.m. we went to Pizza Plant. Check it out if you are local; their craft beer selection is one of the best in the area.

How many of you out there go to a farmers' market? We're blessed to be fairly close to a very large and not "touristy" one - the North Tonawanda Farmers' Market. Going is a Saturday tradition for us, year round, but it's not nearly as fun when the weather is frigid. Saturday marked the sixth day of gorgeous weather here in Western New York, and the streak is supposed to continue all week. And when I say gorgeous, I mean everything that the word implies: sunshine, perfectly azure skies marked only by stray immaculately white clouds, and no humidity, just pure golden warmth, the kind that caresses. Basically, this may be what it was like in the Garden of Eden...

Also, just an FYI. If you're in the mood for a more style related post, please head over to Mommy Notes, where I'm guest posting about postpartum mommy style!





6 comments:

  1. Burned out. Yes. I hear you. "two hour long voyage into the heart of darkness, your heart of darkness, as you seethe interiorly" Ha! Well put. So glad you got a night out! And you look amazing, esp considering you had short notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I'm linking up. And you look amazing, period. I'm just esp impressed that you had short notice . . . you know what I mean.

      Delete
  2. Whoa! A weekend linkup? I'll do it, because I just rambled on about mine.

    And so glad you two can spontaneously get up and go out for a drink. You're doing something right if you two are managing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're really lucky that my awesome sister-in-law was going to be up late studying for an exam, and that she was willing to come over!

      Delete
  3. Way to go with the garden, Mary! I am a farmers' market zealot (perhaps slightly too strong a word) and am suffering this spring from farmers' market withdrawal after relocating from Asheville, NC after so many years. However, we found there is a very small one at our neighborhood park that opened this weekend. I bought a pound or so of rhubarb and made a pie to take to our neighbors' party. It was delicious, if I do say so myself! I am going to post a weekend post tomorrow if I have a minute of down time and link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good, Sarah, please do! Rhubarb pie sounds delicious! My parents grew rhubarb when I was a kid; apparently it's super easy. Now you've got me thinking... And I know what you mean about the farmers' market. It's just such a good thing on so many levels.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.