Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas Cranberries and Whatnot

I was going to do a style post today, but then I decided to let you in on what the kids and I have really been doing all week. Cleaning and Christmas decorating. As a child, we always cleaned the house and put up decorations (minus the tree) by December 5th. That way, the mood was set for the first big celebration of the Christmas season, the Feast of St. Nicholas. 

The name of our decorating game this year was pinecones and cranberries. I have it from various internet sources that the cranberries will behave nicely as they senesce, cleanly drying to wrinkly old age. The husband, on the other hand, suspects they may pull a pumpkin and rot. But let's hope for the best.

I love pinecones and cranberries because they are so inexpensive, but also safe for the kids. They can manhandle those cones all they want, and... nada, nary a shard of glass to maim or be cleaned up (visualize me cleaning up, not maiming things or people, just in case that sentence was unclear). As for the cranberries, after the initial taste, gag, and spit, I don't think the kids will go there again.  And to my surprise, my oldest (5 years) actually made some of the garlands. She was very pleased with her work, and so was I!

So, without further ado...



8 comments:

  1. your house is so pretty! I like the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly! We do get a lot of natural light; thanks for reminding me to appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. sweet pics Mary! Happy St. Nicholas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your minimalist decorating style. Simple and elegant! And the cranberries look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and festive- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I did a post on cranberries and have one planned for pine cones! Maggie and I painted pine cones just this morning, in fact. A subtle gold glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I am more than a little jealous of your clean, uncluttered decorating. When first setting up house, I went with the buy/collect cheap stuff, spread it around, think later approach. I'm still backpedaling from that. :-/ But it's getting better. Anyway . . . I had to look up "senesce." :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.