Monday, February 17, 2014

15-16 February


WEEKEND DIARIES

The pie turned out alright.
Valentine's breakfast. I don't try to fight the photo fingers anymore.
The resident artist.
Mentally running the numbers on our odds of making it to Mass on time. Not good, folks, not good.
The closest I've come to an outfit pic in awhile.
Taken on accident as I clutch phone and child and hope that we may not be too late.


I hope you had a great weekend! Ours was different than expected, but good, nonetheless. We were expecting houseguests starting Thursday, but the weather prevented their visit. We were also planning to get the kids together with their cousins, but alas, seasonal sickness prevented that. We did have some unexpected visitors stop by and my kids went... crazy. 

The cabin fever really becomes apparent when the solitude finally breaks. Imagine: "Look at me! Watch me do this (somersault, jumping off couch, wild arm flapping, and many other displays of childish physical prowess)! Look what I have! Look at this toy! Look at this movie! Look at me! Look at me!" Times three. 

For all of you childless visitors who found yourselves amidst the chaos this weekend... don't let it scare you. I only mention it because any sane person would find that level of energy scary. Not everyday is like that. And there's a positive side (thank God, right?) to this youthful glee in its more moderate expressions. It illuminates the mundane for my often stultified eyes. It reminds me that life is 'wonder'-ful. This old world becomes new any time a child looks at it. 

And any holiday is better with children. Take Valentine's Day, for example. All you need is a heart cookie cutter, and any work of your hands will be promptly proclaimed "beautiful" and "amazing," even if it is only a cheese sandwich. A fresh roll of paper, some crayons, and a little how-to on drawing hearts elicits joy and comments like, "I'm a HUGE fan of paper!" 

You know what? Come to think of it, so am I!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Mary :) I love your posts. Your pie turned out beautifully! Edmond is adorable!
    I (We) miss you guys!
    Ps. "illuminates the mundane..." - yes! Love it. What a blessing it is to be a witness of that every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erica! I hope you're having fun with Ann et al. Wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.