Monday, March 31, 2014

29-30 March

WEEKEND DIARIES
Every Saturday is different, and every Saturday is the same. Being awakened by small children. My husband saying, "Let me run out to the farmers market for a couple things. Let's have a big omelet for breakfast." And returning with strawberries, pears, asparagus, mushrooms, sweet peppers, rye bread, pastry hearts, cinnamon rolls, cookies as big as a face, locally made breakfast sausage, chorizo, feta. And then saying, absolutely seriously, "We can swing by the market again, I just wanted to get stuff for breakfast." I love this man.

The kids watching a show or two. Me having too much coffee. Scanning the weekend paper or finishing that book that needs to go back to the library. Showers, baths, errands in groups or all together. Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me in the car. A strong beer at four o'clock (trust me, its deserved if the errands were run en masse). An easy dinner. Children playing. Bedtime. Redbox movie time. Every Saturday is different, and every Saturday is the same.

D said, "Take a picture of this," then posed.
This book, eh, ok. I finished it but all the examining of women's dilemmas of "art versus family" and societal pressures was exhausting.
And I was left with so many unsettling questions. What is art? Why was Wiemar Germany so sexual?  Am I oppressed?
But I do like the light in this picture I took. Pat on back.
Sun like spring, snowing like winter.
"The long arm of justice."
Cooks Illustrated Skillet Penne with Sausage and Spinach (roasted red peppers substituted for sun dried tomatoes)...
Fast and delicious!





8 comments:

  1. I don't know why but I always love reading these weekend posts. Because they are similar to mine probably. The weekends are all the same but different. That pasta looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks, Kelly, I didn't do them for a bit because I feared they were just so blah, blah, but hey that's life. Or at least my life right now. And I like my life, so there we have it! I like your posts too. We'd be friends, I think, if we lived close by. If you'd have me : )

      Delete
  2. Your husband coming back with all that delicious food reminds me of my husband! He is a ridiculous foodie and I love it, but I wouldn't be so inclined if left to my own devices. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should say that, Diana! I'm beginning to see a pattern among my friends: the wives stick to the plan, the budget, etc, and the husband comes back from the grocery store with things I didn't even know were sold at there! My first year of marriage I would get irritated, then my husband stopped doing it, and I realized that eating got so boring at our house, and I missed the small surprises (my newly married self sounds so uptight, right?!). There were no ingredients to add that special touch or refreshing change to the menu. Now I just relax and enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Now I want to visit OUR farmer's market!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made that same penne last week! But I had no onions, sundried tomatoes, or roasted red peppers. Still delicious. I'm thinking about making it correctly this week, but I'm out of heavy cream. It's always something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I didn't mean to substitute the one for the other the first go round, but I actually grabbed the wrong thing at the store so I thought what the heck, I'm not going back! We end up eating a lot of things at this house that aren't quite exact to the recipe. Returning to the store is such a hassle at this stage of the game, and probably will be until my five year old gets her drivers license down the road (shameless pun).

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.