Friday, January 4, 2013

7 Quick Takes: Miscellany Edition

Today's 7 Quick Takes are a true miscellany, a bit of this and a bit of that. Enjoy!

Well, the Mayans predicted that my 30th birthday would mark the end of the world. They were wrong. Maybe they didn't get the memo that 30 is the new 20.... 

While we are talking numbers, January 5 is my 5th anniversary. Amazing, but time flies when you're with the love of your life.

photo by simple heart photography, bokeh added

Enough about me, check out this pic of my dad, mixing plaids like a boss:

The key to making it work - the unifying blue in each of the prints and the hat.

As the Christmas season begins to wind down, you might be thinking about putting away the decorations. Every year I hear the tip about taking a pic of them to make next year's decorating easier. This year I finally did it! We went away for the holidays, so the decorations were minimal, but here is a little peek:

So I bought this NYX Chic Red lipstick for Christmas because it looked like a true red: 

However, it was more of a very deep pink when applied. I tried it on several different occasions in the hope that I was just seeing things; I wasn't. It was less than $4 at Ulta, and the color is nice and long wearing, so not all was lost. If anybody out there has a tried and true red, please let me know!

I had another post planned for today, but I haven't done a 7 Quick Takes in so long that I changed my mind. Stay tuned for the original post - Scent of a Woman. I'll put it up some time tonight or tomorrow.

Thinking about starting a new blog in the new year? Check out my posts on the writing process and some tips for taking the ever awkward outfit pics.

Have a great weekend!


  1. Happy Anniversary, Mary! Your veil was beautiful and so are you--you look like a princess in your photo!

    I love bright pink lipstick, but I haven't quite made the leap over to red yet. My friend Teresa has a few MAC colors, Russian Red and Ruby Woo, I think, that are supposedly classic faves from their line. A little pricier, of course, but maybe a worthy investment if you're hunting for the perfect red?

    Have a good weekend!!

    1. Thank you, Stephanie! Yes, that veil. I loved it, but it went missing after the ceremony! The day was such a blur, I don't even remember taking it off!

  2. Love your pics, wedding, your authentically stylish dad and the sweet decorations.

  3. Happy birthday, happy anniversary, and yes 30 is _definitely_ the new 20! ;-)


Please leave me a comment. If you don't blog, you may not realize that comments to a blogger are like sunshine to the whole of the photosynthesizing world. What I'm saying is, each comment means a lot! P.S. If you have an email connected to your profile, I'll most likely respond there.